User Testing Plan

After the workshop with Mind The Film, Bobbie and I had a discussion about what we wanted within our process film and how to film this.

We talked through our ideas and came to the conclusion that the video should show our process and enthusiasm we have for developing with new technology. We felt that showing players reactions is a key part of the game. Being a local cooperative game with the intent of getting players to communicate with one and other, we thought documenting players reactions within the film would be a key element in expressing the mood and feel of the project.

With this in mind we then thought more thoroughly about what users we wanted to test with and when.

Initially we had planned to have a large testing session sometime after Easter, though we felt that one session would not be enough and more would be needed in order to gain a range of feedback, to refine the game to a high enough standard.

With this in mind we came up with the solution of running weekly testing sessions where we could gain feedback from players, implement them and test them again by the next week. Creating a constant testing and refining work environment. This way we felt all adjustments added to the game would be tested and hopefully the game would be bug free, which is what we were after in our original goal/ project plan.

We also thought we would have 2 testing sessions a week, one with game designers to gain feedback on the more technical side and the other more casual gamers that would give us information on the experience and how fun the game was to play. Therefore this would allow us to gain feedback from two different viewpoints and thoroughly enhance the game-play.

 

Having come to this conclusion, we then realised an issue with this, being that it would only be tested by young adults/ university students and this isn’t are only target audience, it is more of a family friendly game that appeals to a large range of ages that enjoy social gaming. Therefore our testing would be missing out on vital feedback from children, parents and adults that would also be playing the game.

To solve this we looked back at the target audience I had stated within my GDD to help us identify specifically who we wanted to get to test the game. The types of users include:

  • Children’s party (10+)
  • University House mates
  • Dinner date
  • Family Evening

So from this we worked out we would need to test on people that would be within these situations so:

  • Children approx 10 years old
  • University Students
  • Adults 25+
  • Family (Mum, Dad, Children, possibly grandparents)

 

Both myself and Bobbie have some contacts we can arrange with to form these play-tests and so we have decided too contact them over Easter to arrange play tests.

 

Our plan now is to have 3 weeks of testing with games developers and casual gamers. Then 2 weeks to test on the target audience which we can film to a high standard for the process film.

 

Advertisements