- Set up on soletrader
- Don’t need to VAT register unless earning a lot
- Soletraders or partnership have to submit one tax return per year, for the previous year
- gov.uk – set up/ register as a soletrader – The company name is your name
- With soletrader all liability lands with you not company
- Once set up – Need to track expensies and incoming money – Online services for this called freeagent or freshbooks or Harvest
- Recommend that you set up bank account for the company
- Can’t claim food or drink as a business expense but everything else can be.
- If you work for home can put in a percentage of rent or utility bills into a claim.
- stuffandnonsense for writing contracts.
- YOU WRITE THE CONTRACT NOT THEM. – They agree to your terms.
- Terminate contract if money isn’t paid
- if the scope changes you need to discuss the rate of change – email the person first
How much to charge?
- £50 per hour for coding – Adam – Don’t charge too much
- Regularly increase your price
Follow up everything with an email
- Ask for week (7 working days) for an invoice to be paid
- PayPal Business – Takes 4%
- Link in invoices to payment
- The biggest people don’t pay on time!
- Send reminder – from freeagent